All I have yet to do is draw in guide lines for the stripes and do a hero coat of paint. (And varnish, of course).
I had the idea that I wanted to make a Soarin figure and he was the test subject that taught me I could bake the Hasbro blindbags. His tail came together fairly quickly and his head has been reshaped. However, his mane is proving to be a bigger challenge than I initially thought. He is on hold at the moment until I feel inspired. Also I thought I had a picture, but it seems not.
His wing donor was a Rainbow Dash blindbag and I decided to totally strip her for a future project. So I thought it might be worth sharing her here to indicate my method. First, I took off her wings with my craft knife, staying as close to the body as I could. Next, with my knife I severed the tail from the body and peeled it off the back legs. Unlike the wings I didn’t care about preserving any of the bits of tail so I focused on keeping the leg shape as uniform as possible. Finally I went in with the knife and my shears to take off the mane. Using the knife for delicate work around the face, ears and neck and the shears to take off big chunks at a time she was left looking a little... frightening.
As you can see, without her tail, the pony formerly known as Rainbow Dash can’t balance. To fix this I build little bases out of Miliput and a 2p coin which looks quite fetching and can also be used to paint a larger cutie mark on the bottom.
My other half ran his first ever game of D&D in Norfolk and has really caught the bug. DMing is an entirely different experience to Storytelling or GMing. Statting encounters, calculating CRs and exp costs: none of it can be done on the fly. So following the first session of our new game he spent a lot of time on the laptop writing notes and using the PFSRD. During this time I set myself the challenge of crafting entirely with Sculpy, something I had never done before. I usually use baking clay as a tool in pony customs or to make bases for Miliput detail (see: Custom Homestuck Kid Figure).
So I had about two hours while dinner cooked and the oven was heated up...
Thankfully I’d taken a skeleton kit of paint to Norfolk and one of them was my silver. I dry stippled some grey/black over to make him look a little beaten up. Then he was given as a gift to my sweetheart, who dubbed him ‘Moof Bot’... because it sounds cute.
Not bad for a pre-dinner effort.
|Or Müf if you prefer.|